Saturday, September 15, 2007

Akihabara, Welcome Party

Waking up at the arse crack of dawn (6:45) is seriously no fun.
Neither are Japanese placement tests. But the double whammy had me totally exhausted today.

It was a supremely nice day in Tokyo. Blue, blue sky, hot but kind of manageable.
I wanted to take a picture of Tokyo Tower, but my camera ran out of battery just as I got to uni. But it's very, very close to Keio.

So, placement test. The test was split up into reading, listening and expression. Each test then had four sections. First one was super breezy, second was not a problem, third was like, ok...meh, and then fourth was 'what the hell is going on?'. The listening was just an entire monologue about the co-existence of nature and humans, and then we had to write 2 paragraphs on what it meant. And the reading was all about the friction between globalisation and nationalism. I mean, come on! I've been coasting, and it really woke me up to how much more I had to learn in Japanese.

After that three hour ordeal, of course, we needed to relax. So where better than Akihabara?
The sensory overload was complete, and the proportion of men to women was like 10 to 1. We tried to go to a maid cafe, but it was too crowded (!). Next time, baby.

And once we came back, we had a little dorm party where everyone brought some drinks and we all hung out. It was pretty great talking to people from all different parts of the world, and different walks of life. Like, Roxanne, from Paris, who is a novelist and film director... it's truly amazing that Japan has brought all these people together.

Not really any photos today, because of my stupid camera. Soon, my pretty.

No comments: