Thursday, September 20, 2007

School is looming

Today was the beginning of the serious stuff. We got the results of the placement test back, and had a 15 minute interview with an academic advisor.

So what of it? I was placed in 3G, which is the second level of the second highest level. Well, there are four levels, 1 being beginners and 4 being advanced. Within those levels there are sub levels. You can't enter level 4 in your first semester of Keio, because then you would have nowhere to go in the second semester. To be honest, I was pretty shocked at my placement, because it means that I'm able to take the JPLT Level 1 exam, which is the highest level and means you are a completely fluent Japanese speaker, which I don't feel at all. I did really badly in the 'expression' part of the exam, though with only 42/100, but I did alright in listening, with 73/100 and reading with 80/100.

It looks to be pretty difficult, because the classes focus on academic Japanese, such as essay writing. But the good thing is that I'll be able to take classes for normal Japanese students, which will be a good chance to meet some Japanese people. The bad news is I have school on Saturday!!! Argh!!! My schedule is Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat. But I will probably take a class on Monday afternoon, as well.


Tokyo Tower, on the way to Keio University. Note how blue the sky is! It's like Sydney!


Statue of Hachiko
So, this is the famous Hachiko at Shibuya station, a meeting place for people going out in Shibuya. The story goes that Hachiko was an Akita dog owned by a professor, who always waited for her master at the station. However, the professor died, but Hachiko kept coming everday to the station to wait. To celebrate such loyalty, a statue of Hachiko was erected. Though, to actually meet someone there is counter productive, because on the weekends, there's SO many people around the statue, you would never find your friend.

Tomorrow is Yokohama, because I kind of want to buy a mooncake, it's my first Mid Autumn Festival by myself, and can you believe there are no Chinese people in my dorm?! Actually, I lie, there's one person, but I've actually never met them. So... I'll have to have a little cry by myself, eating my moon cake.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow vonny...that's the most classes you've had all year! Don't cry! Just force all the non-chinese people in your dorn to celebrate with you. :)

carmen said...

mooncake? poor darling. just tell your mates to drink with you on that night and eat mooncake with you! explain to them that you cant spend mid-autumn festival by yourself~~