Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tokyo - First Sight







It's amazing, it's wonderful, it's Tokyo.

After a surprisingly okay flight where I got to sleep a record 5 hours, I was greeted by a rain smattered Narita Airport, and met by my good friend Yuki and her completely hungover boyfriend Nobu.

So what are three people to do at 7:30 am? Why, go to Denny's, of course. So we went - and the first thing I noticed was that people smoke in restaurants. I've become so used to smoke-free indoors, that it kind of puzzled me for a second.

Denny's was...cheap. 400 yen for breakfast, with toast, sausage, bacon, eggs, and salad. Not too shabby. Then we drove into Tokyo. For a trip that was onl 37 kms (she had GPS), it took almost 2 hours. 2 agonising hours...

My dorm is called Willing Setagaya, and is located in Sangenchaya, which is only two stops from Shibuya, teen hub of Tokyo. The neighbourhood is actually quite quaint, with tiny restaurants and bars littered around, but once you cross the main road, there's heaps of shopping areas and stuff as well.

My actual room is pretty good, with my own phone, stovetop, tiny fridge, sink and bathroom, as well as super-fast internet. Although, the most confusing thingto happen today was how to actually make my bed - in the end, one of the Norwegian girls told me the fitted sheet was for the futon thingo, rather than the mattress itself(!) I'm still not too clear on what it is, but it's been a long day and I'm not up to figuring it out. The dorm people are really nice, ranging from Norway, Sweden, Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, USA.. really great bunch of people. More about them as I find out myself.




Bed, desk, table, chair... look, mum, I made my bed!






Kitchen thing - miniscule. I still haven't figured out how to rotate pics, sorry.

Bathroom - the bath is so deep. And the whole batoom is elevated from the rest of the room. So Japanese.

The weater this morning was absolutely disgusting. Hot, rainy, humid. But in the afternoon, I actually saw blue sky (hurrah!) and night-time wandering around in just t-shirt, jeans and thongs was good.

I've been able to nab from the 'free market' in the lobby (where people just chuck the stuff they can't bring back home), a pot, a saucepan, a kettle, a radio, some cutlery and crockery...also, made a trip to the supermarket to buy some essential supplies like cup noodles and chips and mini cans of beer! I'll take photos at first opportunity.










No comments: